Career Tips – Your Dream Job Interview
You only get one chance to make a great first impression!
1. Be early.
2. To relax yourself while you’re waiting recite a calming mantra (in your head) such as: “Breathe, smile, listen.” It’s important to remind yourself what to do, rather than what not to do.
3. Be polite to the receptionist and other team members. If you are offered a drink of water, tea or coffee - accept it graciously.
4. Greet the interviewer(s) with a warm smile and a firm handshake.
5. LISTEN to the question, take a moment to ensure you understand it and if you need some clarity, ASK for it.
6. When answering a question, use specific, real-life, examples wherever possible. There is a world of difference between knowing the theory of what should be done in a situation and being able to do it. Your interviewer is looking for evidence that you can do it!
7. When asking your interviewers a question, ask one at a time and ask questions that will help you gain understanding of the role or the company rather than asking about pay and benefits. For example, you could ask: “What is the number one goal for this team for the next six months?” or “What would you expect me to achieve in my first three months?”
8. At the end of the interview, try to leave the interviewer in no doubt that you want the job. There are a number of ways to do this but a cheeky “When do I start?” with a twinkle in your eye can have the desired effect! Alternatively, you could say: “Thank you for seeing me today. I’ve really enjoyed meeting you and I would love to become part of your team.” It is perfectly acceptable to ask when your interviewers will be making their decision at this stage too.
9. When it’s time to leave, remember to thank the interviewers for their time, shake their hand and keep smiling. Say you are looking forward to hearing from them and leave with your head up and an air of confidence. You did well!
10. The following day: Send a thank you note. Hand-written if your handwriting is up to it; neatly typed otherwise. An email may suffice but just consider how many emails we get every day compared with real letters. Which would stand out the most?
The Dream Job Coach
Tel: 01452 523459
Mobile: 07766 250192
Website: Click Here